By 1912 the business was successfully serving many of London’s famous clubs and hotels. These were heady times but the onset of the First World War in 1914 changed everything. In particular rationing changed trading patterns and Bradbury and Son found themselves restricted to a more regional market within a 75 mile radius of Buxton.
In September 1940 the business became a limited company. William Bradbury took over from his father after being demobilised from the army in 1947. He ran the business successfully until his untimely death in 1974. Alan and Joan Marsden guided the company for the next 20 years, increasing sales to nearly £5m with modern new premises built in 1991.
The Paul family acquired the company in 1994 and George Paul is still actively involved in the business today. In 2001 the size of their buildings doubled to cope with demand and then again moved to a brand new state-of-the-art 2,000 pallet facility in 2003 – a £2.3m investment in buildings, packing equipment and technical systems.
Bradbury’s has developed into a modern, forward-thinking business with customer needs at the heart of its vision for the future. Maintaining the best of its knowledge and traditions, combined with customer-led innovation, takes Bradbury’s into an exciting new chapter…